This post may contain affiliate links. It does Not cost you anything extra but I may earn a commission from purchases. Learn more.
Over the last few months, I have had several people tell me their pets have cancer. While this news made me cry, I also wanted to see what it is I could do to try to help battle it and ease their pain.
I immediately started to pull information from some information I have not yet touched on, articles written by multiple veterinarians, other popular natural dog websites, and my favorite holistic vet.
Below I’ll share the years worth of research I gathered to help keep your pet as healthy as possible.
*Please note any information I share is not meant to treat or diagnose your pet and should be discussed with your personal veterinarian to decide what’s appropriate. If your vet is not open to alternative modalities, there are several holistic vets in Carlsbad, Escondido, and San Diego.
Reduce toxic exposure to lower your pet’s cancer risk
This is 1 of the top 2 top suggestions I have read from other vets. Why? Your pet is exposed to toxins every day in various ways. Some possibilities of chemical exposure include:
- Vaccines, flea and tick preventatives, and some CBD can contain heavy metals
- Tap water, Weedkiller, and bug spray all contain chemicals
- Lead or radioactive material has been found in pet bowls. Lead free bowls found here.
- Non-stick coating can off-gas from your Coffeemaker warming plate, oven, and cookware. Buy Teflon free appliances and pans.
- Chemicals in cleaning supplies. I use a steam only steam mop that has attachments to clean other surfaces
- Stain protectant or fire retardants on your furniture, chemicals in your mattress, or dog bed. Nontoxic dog beds were hard to find but I found a few!
Chemicals can have an effect on their organs. Since skin is considered an organ, anything they touch gets absorbed into their bloodstream. Additionally, when your pet grooms themselves, they could be ingesting these chemicals. The good news is there are safer alternatives to many of these products, some of which I explain in detail in the above-linked blogs.
Alternative treatment options for dog cancer
1) 2nd opinion: One of the holistic vets I follow sent his client to an oncologist, they said yes it’s cancer. The client got a 2nd opinion and was told the bump was non-cancerous.
2)Pet Chiropractic: In this pet cancer series, they said your spine plays a role in your health. One cancer survivor had 6 inches of his spine that was affecting his adrenals. He used chiropractic care as part of his cancer treatment and is now cancer-free.
For some, this may sound a little out there but I can say I know a dog’s spine affects them in various ways. If I hadn’t seen it with my own dog, I’m not sure I would have believed myself. He had the start of an ear infection, I had him adjusted once and it went away. Years later he had a tiny poop accident when getting up. After 1-2 chiropractic sessions, he was no longer having “accidents.”
3)Pet Cannabis: In one of the episodes of the above docuseries some people beat their cancer when including cannabis as part of their regime. On YouTube, I found one family who bought cannabis oil for their dog and she is free of bone cancer. Here is the youtube video. In the video and comments, you’ll find answers to questions many people have such as the type of cannabis oil they used and what was the dosage amount.
For hemp CBD made for pets, this company has Hemp Cannabis for dogs, cats, other animals. It comes in capsules and in liquid form. If your pet is not eating regularly or dislikes taking pills, the liquid form may be a good option for you to use with your pet!
A few quick facts about this cannabis pet product:
- Heavy metal-free hemp
- Made from organic hemp, Non-GMO
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Covered by some pet insurance
- Hemp can help with anxiety, mobility, pain, and digestion. In this video, you’ll see my clients 22-year-old cat jump after 5 days on this product
- 20% Discount for first-time customers code: new_customer20 and Returning customers can 25% off 2/11-2/15/20 code: petpartner
One story I found encouraging was Chumley’s testimonial. Chumley had surgery twice and the vet told his pet parent it would likely come back. As another tumor started, Chumley’s pet parent put him back on this product and within weeks his tumor went away. Three years later he is still doing well.
*Don’t see a product you are looking for? See if it is listed on pet products page. If not, let me know in the comment below.