This blog post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a commission at no cost to you. Learn more.
If you have wondered what is the best dog food or what makes it a good dog food versus other foods or marketing hype, then this is for you. I started analyzing pet food ingredients months ago because I had people requesting low copper pet foods and dog foods without copper and preservative-free dog foods.
I looked at all the most popular dog foods you see advertised every day in ads or on Social media. Everything from fresh to frozen, including freeze-dried or air-dried dog food, Single protein source dog foods with veggies or pure meat only!
I’ll share my 40 hours of research and what I found for 1) dog foods without preservatives, 2) best dog food with no copper added or low copper dog food, 3) why copper levels are making dogs sick 4) Why Human-grade dog food is important and 5) the BEST dog foods of 2023.
Why is low copper dog food important?
In studies, dogs’ copper levels have gone from 10 mcg to 453 mcg. The AAFCO has set a requirement for copper to be in pet foods but they have not set a maximum limit!
Some vets think it is causing liver disease, contributing to neurological disorders, and more health issues.
Now it is up to pet parents to take control of the amount of copper our dogs are getting. To save you a lot of research, here you will find my choices for dog foods without copper.
The Best low copper dog foods
Did you know the World’s oldest dog, Bobi, who just turned 31 years old has eaten only fresh food? In my cancer food blog, I found a common theme amongst the longest-living dogs, they all ate raw or gently cooked food, not kibble!
1. Raw Grass fed Beef dog food: Get your first 10 lbs for 14.95 of this low copper beef dog food consists of beef, organs, vegetables, parsley, and other ingredients like vitamins. oil, and salt. *Copper is 3.1 mg. This brand made a 2023 top pet food list.
Cage Free Dog foods with low copper levels
2. Raw Turkey dog food: Get your first 10 lbs for 14.95 of this low-copper turkey dog food has meat, organs, organic vegetables, herbs, and added ingredients like vitamins and fish oil. *Copper is 3.1 mg, 2023 top dog food list
3. Raw Cage free Chicken dog food: low copper dog food recipe is made with chicken, organs, vegetables, herbs, and added ingredients like vitamins and flaxseed oil.
4. Raw Venison dog food: 25% off your first order. This company is making dog foods without copper by using Wild Game meat only. This Venison and Elk dog food has no organs or vegetables. Made in USA pet food, 7-day money-back guarantee. Each package contains only 0.63 mg of copper, confirmed by a company employee.
This is a great option for pet parents who want a good source of meat to make their own meals for their pets!
Importance of Human grade dog food
Why is human-grade dog food important? Unfortunately, dog food without this distinction may come from animal sources that have died other than by slaughter or from diseased animals. This has been admitted by the FDA.
To prevent getting poor sources of protein, Buy dog food from companies that visit their farms, show the sources of their ingredients, and perform testing.
Human grade dog foods without copper
If the profile shows copper, it’s because a food ingredient is a copper source.
- Save 20% on your first order
- In 2 Top 10 lists of Best dog food of 2023
- Balanced without added supplements or minerals
- FDA – July 2023 inspection they were told their results were better than many pet food companies!
- Batch tested for things like Salmonella, E. coli, and swab production area regularly for Listeria. Non HPP.
- 1st pet food company to be Made in a USDA kitchen. Holding themselves to safety standards of human food.
- Certified Humane dog food: Humanely raised animals verified by CEO’s that visited the farm.
- Versions: Raw dog food comes in smooth or chunked. Also with fruits and veggies OR meat only!
- Single-source protein dog food with several different protein options.
- Ingredients: Antibiotic and Hormone FREE meat, Organic vegetables, flaxseed oil, and kelp.
- Packaging: easy to peel packaging comes in two 1 lb packs. Their dog or Cat food is differentiated with a dog or 🐱 on the packaging.
- Shipping facilities on the West and East Coast, packed with dry ice and shipped Mo-Wed via UPS or Fed-Ex to ensure delivery before the weekend.
6. Copper free cooked dog food: This family-run business offers 10 dog foods without copper. Their food is lightly cooked and then frozen before shipping.
- Save 20% with the code PETS20 on your first full order!
- Samples: NO free samples but you can buy a sample box that has 4 packages.
- Versions: Several options, all single-source protein dog foods.
- Life Stages: Puppies and adults. 7 adult dog foods and 3 raw puppy foods.
- In TWO 2023 Trusted pet foods lists
- Lab tested for pathogens and never shipped until the results come back.
- Formulated by a holistic vet and a long-time pet nutritionist.
- Delivery is free in the USA. Alaska & Hawaii have a shipping fee.
- Sustainability efforts: I LOVE that the package liner is compostable and they offset their carbon emissions.
- Ordering: Pause and reactivate your order or change your address right from your account.
- Achieved AAFCO requirements using only food!
- Ingredients typically included meat, organs, a small amount of produce, eggshell, and kelp.
Fresh dog foods without copper added
- 30% off your first order.
7. Fresh Beef dog food: This cooked beef dog food without added copper contains meat, liver, vegetables, fruits, and other ingredients like a vitamin mix without copper.
8. Fresh Lamb dog food: This cooked lamb dog food without copper contains meat, liver, vegetables, fruit, parsley, and added vitamins except for copper!
- Protein: The Fresh food version is available in 6 protein options like beef, turkey, and venison.
- Versions: offered in 2 cooking options like lightly cooked and baked dog food.
- Packing: packaged in Containers vs. plastic packages for easy-to-open dog food.
- Their Baked food comes in 2 protein options, is shelf stable, and offers a bit of crunch. A good option to help transition dogs from kibble!
Freeze dried dog food without copper
9. Humanly raised beef dog food: This could make a good low-copper wet dog food if you add water to the freeze-dried bits. It is offered in several other protein options.
- A family-run business since 2006
- Ranked #1 in 2023 Best freeze-dried dog food and is on another list for top dog food recommendations.
- Recipe example is beef, organs, vegetables, herbs, and other ingredients like bee pollen.
- The only supplement is Vitamin E which is usually used as a preservative, which I learned when researching how to make my own dog cookies.
Copper free dog treats
- Turkey dog treats: These dog treats can also be used as a Copper-free meal topper. It comes in several flavors like chicken and beef. This brand is on a 2023 best pet food brand list.
- Dental treat: Vegan, No artificial coloring.
- Rawhide alternative: Gluten and grain-free dog chew. Available in several sizes: small, medium, and large dog treats.
Tip: some Vets have suggested that pet parents do NOT give their dogs liver treats if they want to keep their dog’s copper levels down!
How to naturally reduce copper in dogs
If you want to know why copper is added to pet foods you can read my cat food blog.
To lower copper levels in your dog, after consulting your vet, you could explore some of these steps. Purchase one of the above dog foods without copper added or have low copper levels.
According to Anthony William, you can bind and remove copper with certain foods. For instance, parsley removes copper, celery juice helps disarm copper, and Dulse binds to copper. Many vets recommend seaweeds and parsley for dogs too.
Another essential for removing copper is Spirulina. It helps remove other heavy metals from the liver, intestinal tract, and thyroid and is better than any multivitamin you could buy. Use code: Sirena for a 5% discount on Spirulina for dogs made by a holistic vet.
If you want more ways to detoxify your dog’s liver you can use these liver detox pills for dogs made by a holistic vet.
I hope this helps you find better food for your dogs. Please share or comment on which food you bought and if it has helped your dog.