Christmas pet safety tips

Published on December 18, 2012 by in Blog, Tips


Are your Christmas decorations safe for your pet(s)?

The decorations that make Christmas so festive can pose a danger to your pet.

Besides ingesting or getting tangled in some decorations, pets go missing more often because doors are being left open or pets slip past visitors.

A few precautionary steps can help ring in the new year as a happy & healthy one.

Plants toxic to pets

Poinsettia leaves/stems:  blisters in the mouth and upset stomach.
Holly berries and leaves: potentially fatal for dogs & cats.
Mistletoe (especially berries): upsets stomachs and can cause heart collapse

Christmas tree dangers for pets

Christmas tree preservatives: Many are sugar based making the sweet smell alluring to your pets. The longer the water stands the increased risk for bacterial growth.
Presents:  The ribbon & string wrapped around gifts could be viewed by your pet as a toy.  If ingested they could become lodged in their intestine.
Christmas tree ornaments: If swallowed they can cause obstructions in the gastrointestinal tract.

For other safety tips that are common during other holidays such as food & alcohol, check out our 4th of July & Halloween posts.

Signs/Symptoms of pet poisoning

• A change in your pet’s normal behavior

• Your pet appears drowsy or uncomfortable

• Vomiting, diarrhea or excessive urination

• Unusual salivation or drooling

• Strange odors on the breath or skin

• Changes in gum color to blue, pale or bright red, or burn marks on the gum

• Unsteady walk or movements, including tremors

What to do if you suspect that your pet has been poisoned

Emergency pet first aid: This could help save your pet but PLEASE know how & when to apply.  For example, inducing vomiting could do more harm than good in certain situations!***

Veterinarian or local emergency veterinary hospital: DO NOT wait for symptoms to appear, seek professional help.**Bring the toxic item or know the EXACT name of item, this will help speed up treatment for your beloved pet.**

National Animal Poison Control Center: For immediate assistance at home, you may consider calling 888-4ANI-HELP or (888-426-4435). **$45 fee may apply**

If you enjoyed this post:

Disclaimer: The information contained in this web site is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. If your pet has a medical problem, please seek medical attention from your veterinarian. Happy Trails & Wag’n Tails will do our best to ensure that information presented is accurate and up-to-date. Happy Trails & Wag’n Tails does not accept any responsibility for damages, loss or illness which may arise in connection with the use of the information published on this website. The decision to use, or not to use, any information is the sole responsibility of the reader. Opinions expressed here are those of individual contributors. © Happy Trails & Wag’n Tails, 2006-2019. All Rights Reserved.

Subscribe to our mailing list

indicates required

Leave a Reply