0

Do you know which items in your house your could be potentially hazardous to your pets?

While the following is not an all inclusive lists, it will give you a good idea of how many items could be a danger or should be questioned before bringing into your home.

Common toxic items in your home

Low toxicity

  • Glow jewelry/glow sticks
  • School glues, epoxy glues
  • Pencils/markers
  • Charcoal briquettes
  • Christmas tree preservatives
  • Snow sprays/snow flock.

Moderate Toxicity

  • Liquid air fresheners and potpourri
  • Expandable wood glues
  • Batteries
  • Charcoal lighter fluid

High Toxicity

  • Antifreeze/coolant
  • Chocolate
  • Grapes/raisins
  •  Pest control baits and poisons
  •  Alcoholic beverages
  •  Lawn and garden herbicides and pesticides
  •  Epoxy adhesives

Common toxic plants:

•        Sago Palm
•        Lilies
•        Tulip/Narcissus bulbs
•        Azalea/Rhododendron
•        Oleander
•        Castor Bean
•        Cyclamen
•        Kalanchoe
•        Yew
•        Asparagus Fern
•        Caladium
•        Colocasia (Elephant’s Ear)
•        Deiffenbachia (Dumb Cane)
•        Philodendron (Saddle Leaf, Split Leaf)
•        Mum (Pot and Spider)
•        Umbrella Plant
•        Poinsettia leaves/stems
•        Holly berries and leaves
•        Mistletoe (especially berries)

Signs/Symptoms of pet poisoning:

•        A change in your pet’s normal behavior
•        Your pet appears drowsy or uncomfortable
•        Vomiting, diarrhea or excessive urination
•        Unusual salivation or drooling
•        Strange odors on the breath or skin
•        Unsteady walk or movements, including tremors
•        Disorientation or overreaction to light and sound
•        Changes in gum color to blue, pale or bright red, or burn marks on the gum.

What to do if you suspect that your pet has been poisoned?

•        Emergency pet first aid: This could help save your pet but PLEASE know how & when to apply as inducing vomiting could do more harm than good!***
•        Veterinarian or local emergency veterinary hospital: DO NOT wait for symptoms to appear, seek professional help.  **Bring the toxic item or know the EXACT name of item, this will help speed up treatment for your beloved pet.**
•        National Animal Poison Control Center: For immediate assistance at home, you may consider calling 888-4ANI-HELP or (888-426-4435).  **A fee may apply**

Subscribe to our mailing list

indicates required

Disclaimer:

The information contained in this web site is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. If your pet has a medical problem, please seek medical attention from your veterinarian. Happy Trails & Wag’n Tails will do our best to ensure that information presented is accurate and up-to-date. Happy Trails & Wag’n Tails does not accept any responsibility for damages, loss or illness which may arise in connection with the use of the information published on this website. The decision to use, or not to use, any information is the sole responsibility of the reader. Opinions expressed here are those of individual contributors. © Happy Trails & Wag’n Tails, 2016. All Rights Reserved.
Click Here to Leave a Comment Below!

Leave a Reply